The result of philosophical conversations in the drizzling rain at 1:00 AM. [Edited]

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

[I just wrote this poem. I'm sure it needs a lot of editing. But I'm going to go ahead and share it before my better judgement prevents me from doing so.]



You are the devil at my left shoulder,
Leaned back against the bench
As you draw from your pipe,

Smoldering languid, casual.

Soft plumes
Of smoke drift up - sweet miasma
In night's black expanse.

Above us cloud tufts pass, changing
Over the constant moon - ever distorting,
Ever re-shaping its image as it looms, distant above.

And the moon is never the same
Or exactly explained
By what we can see of it,

In a single moment under starless expanse,
Suspended with the effervescent ping
Of invisible water flecks on skin.

Always there is a thin veil
Shrouding its full,
Luminescence.

You wax calmly about Kierkegaard,
Existential philosophy,
The downfall of Marxist theory;

About how you don't believe
In objective reality,
Or any collective human identity.

Beside you in the dark I hope
For some sign of your belief in my own
Fragile reality; want you to touch me warm,

Touch me soft under the smothering
Canvas of dark, amidst the faint hiss
Of smoke diffusing through light rain.

You depress me more than anyone
I have ever known. And still,
I see the luster of your lips in moonlight,

The firm angle of your jaw,
And wonder how it would feel
To brush lightly, lips over your brow,

Across the satin of your skin,
And blossom for you, the throbbing,
White-hot reality of my presence.

I shiver next to you in the dark.

I gaze up at the sky for a shard
Of escaping light,
As the fog obscures the moon.


--Alicia (2010)

0 comments: